Thursday, April 25, 2013

Winter feeding

Anyone can tell you that the goal in winter feeding is to keep yourself out in the cold for as little as possible. Nestled here next to the smokey mountain range we have seen our fair share of cold weather. As I type this post today I can look out the window and see the snow accumulating on the ground. I have gotten the feeding routine down to a little under 5 minutes and Logan has gotten pretty good at collecting the eggs.


We are 5 days into december and the steers (male cattle for you city folk) are looking good. Our goal this winter was to keep them in a sustainable body score so when the grass starts growing in the spring they will be good and growing. We have yet to feed a single bale of hay and I don;t know that we will have to all winter. The work I did over the summer with the pasture rotations and the sectioning off of part of the field in the late fall is really paying off.

No comments:

Post a Comment